Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Design n' Stuff

Alright. We survived the 3 week vegan adventure.
And, shocker, we kept going.

This week marks Week 7 of Vegan Town, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I've definitely lost weight without the vigorous workout schedule I maintained last fall, and I feel much better on a daily basis. Also, our skin feels fabulous, so there's that. There have been a few times where I slipped off the wagon, and I immediately regretted it. It's amazing to be able to listen to your body after you eat something that you haven't in a few weeks and understand what it's telling you! Needless to say, I'm a much better listener now. :)

I can feel a blog coming on when I have lots of things on my mind, and I am disappointed in myself that I tend to want to write only when I feel like I have something to say, but tonight is just one of those nights. Tonight I'm thinking about my life and how it's going so far.

I (re)started this blog to explore and challenge my life as a young twenty-something. In an early post, I laid out what I knew my weaknesses were and tried to rationalize them as best I could. I just re-read them, and while some of them are still true, I am happy to say that I've tried lots of new things. And I've spent more time trying new things than I have working towards my intended "profession," whatever that means. Is my profession really going to be just one thing? If I've learned anything over the last 6 months, it's that I won't be happy with my life if I'm only doing one thing. I thrive when I have lots of projects going at the same time, and while on a smaller scale, I've been able to create something like that in my cozy little bubble of a life right now.

At the end of that early post, my good friend and mentor posted a comment with some questions that I'd like to take the time to answer (preliminarily) now. Here goes...

1. What three things do I find that I do well and with ease?

   1. Violin
   2. Designing things, mostly posters/handouts/stationery
   3. ... Sleep?

2. When was the last time I looked up to find that two or more hours had passed without my noticing? What was I doing?

   I've begun exploring the art of hand lettering, and have spent many evenings up until 1am because I lost track of time while working a new design. Haven't ever done that before, except for maybe browsing Pinterest or editing video, neither of which count in my book. 

3. Where was I when I felt most like myself?

   Recently, with a free afternoon and some solid indie folk music on, a pencil and paper in front of me. 

4. When did I last feel useful? needed? part of something?

   On a road trip to move G out to Colorado. Not sure if that counts or not, but I'm counting it because I did feel useful as I fed him tangerines while we drove through the awful snowy weather.


My mentor said that figuring out the answers to these questions is a life-time pursuit, but I might as well get started, so I'll keep answering these questions on a regular basis.

And now, a bit of what I've been up to that's been keeping me so busy!






I've really enjoyed working on these designs, and I've got more where they came from! Cheers to letters! 


sharp pencils | inspiration | greeting cards | clean spaces | flowers from colorado

No comments:

Post a Comment