Thursday, July 24, 2014

Experiments

So, here's the thing.

I really do have the best intentions for this blog. And without going too much further into how awful I feel for not posting regularly or keeping up with my Bluebird Doodles, let me just say that I love the time I do spend writing and I fully intend to make a point to continue to spend time here, however regularly or irregularly.

But tonight I have time o' plenty and not a lot to do, so I thought I'd give it a go. This post will be more about what's been going on right this moment, along with some pictures of the dinner I'm making while posting. For instance, I just put some rosemary olive oil bread in the crockpot. Right now, it's looking like this:



Two hours from now, it should be magnificent. I'm a little unsure of how altitude (read: Colorado) affects baking in a crockpot, but we are just going to go with it.

Right now, I'm four minutes away from teaching an online violin lesson, and then I'll be hitting up my double burner for some gnocchi action. Tonight's meal is a gnocchi bake with tomato sauce and mozzarella. I'm improvising off of two recipes that are unrelated because, of course, I forgot to grab a can of tomatoes at the store today. Highlights of my made-up recipe to come!


This summer has been an experiment. A successful one thus far, but definitely an experiment nonetheless. It began with a giant move up north, followed by a month of traveling, gigs, lazy afternoons, and beer tasting. July has been following the same pattern, but this is where the experiment has been getting interesting. How long can I really spend without a job, living on the money I earn from teaching a few violin lessons, and moving from place to place without going completely insane? Looks like 2 months is the answer to that. Luckily, I've got my plans for fall all set, so I've been focusing on finding a job out in Colorado, as well as learning how to manage finances, cook on a budget, and do some DIY apartment projects. You can't know how excited I am to finally be in a place where I know I'll have a place for all my things. A place for everything and everything in its place.

It has been a good summer, though. I've been privileged to have some awesome experiences with family and The OK Factor Summer Tour, including being assistant house manager for an evening at an arts center, interviewing on our second state public radio station, making a set of ceramic plates for my new place at pottery camp, running The Color Run 5Kin Minneapolis, playing at our first winery... And there's still more to come yet in August. Several weddings, the Iowa State Fair, and a couple new venues in Madison! Plus, I have a new (puppy) nephew who I haven't met yet, and a big road trip at the end of the month out to the Rockies.


So, dinner. Check this out.







Looks tasty, right?! The bread wasn't as flavorful as I wanted, and the cheese melted like cheese on a pizza -- stringy, but tasty.

So that was my night. Kitchen is cleaned, and I am ready to collapse into a food coma. Cheers, y'all.


flour | the office | internet | skateboards | peppermint tea | apartments



No comments:

Post a Comment