Mom and I are starting something crazy tomorrow.
Okay, so it's not crazy, it's just different.
Tomorrow we are going cold-turkey vegan. (Which is funny, because vegans don't eat turkey. Get it...?)
I'm not ashamed to tell you that my jeans just don't fit right, and haven't for quite some time, and that I feel slow and sluggish and unproductive. I have been in a permanent transition phase for about 6 months now, and it's taking its toll. So it's time to do something about it. Our answer is to omit animal products -- meat, dairy, eggs (sadly... I just learned how to make an awesome fried egg!). Eating vegan is not new for me. I wouldn't have ever called myself a vegan, but on days in college when I didn't eat meat I probably didn't have dairy either. I had this thought that vegans were total weirdos for not eating meat/dairy/animal by-products, but it's not true! Science! Lower blood pressure and cholesterol, dropping pounds, and feeling better are apparently all things that can happen with a vegan-like diet.
We are admittedly a bit nervous about it because we are both snackers and food-lovers, but we stocked up on fun things and I have a new Pinterest board to draw from for recipe inspiration. Plus, we still get to eat bread, which is a household staple in our family. It can't be that bad, right?
Anyway, in keeping with my NYR, I'm writing about this new foodie adventure and will hopefully have some fun stories about disaster recipes and extreme hunger. Maybe I'll even have successful stories, too!
Tonight we're making Zucchini Pizza Boats! They looked simple enough and tasty -- I love zucchini. Mom doesn't like it as much, but she is making a conscious effort to try some new things. Go Mom!
I'm starting my own Instagram account to keep up with foodie pics and tasty noms, so if you're so inclined, feel free to follow @kmdietmeyer. Look for those pizza boats later!
No comments:
Post a Comment