Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Morning!

Alright! We're on track! It's 10:23AM!!

You'll be glad to know that I've had some happy realizations in the last couple of weeks. Mostly common sense stuff, but things that are sometimes hard to see when I'm blinded by my own self-pity. So! Onward!
Following up with where I left off, I channeled my awareness into figuring out what my highest values are. I was watching an online workshop on CreativeLIVE, which is a sweet site for professional creatives in the arts/design/media realms (no music, unfortunately). One photographer was giving a lecture about empowering yourself and your business and she talked for an hour about the importance of how you think about yourself. She reminded me of why I quit writing on my last blog when she said that everything about who you are is because of what you believe about yourself. In essence, THE MAIN THEME OF MY LIFE. She recommended figuring out your highest values via a PDF from this website, so I did it. I spent at least an hour on this because I've been so wishy-washy lately about who I think I am, but here's what I came up with.
Six highest values:
- Music
- Self-development
- Relationships
- Writing
- Reading
- Traveling

I went a little further and tried to look for ways in which these values manifest themselves in my life and it was good. Made me feel ten times better about how I've been spending my time recently.
Music is everywhere for me -- in my AM ritual, as I'm writing this, when I'm teaching, practicing, what I hope to do with my career. Self-development shows up every morning when I get my ass kicked at the gym, through reading, and through writing this blog, too. I was surprised that relationships came up third on my list, but it makes sense. I'm a little selfish right now and I'm okay with it. Still love all of you. :) Writing -- well, that one's a no-brainer. I journal a little, too, but not as much recently. Reading goes along with learning for me right now. Just signed up for two free online classes starting this month - Intro to Music Production from Berklee, and Design 101. Not exactly sure what the second one is, but it looks like fun! Traveling? I'm a Delta kid. I basically live in airports. :) But this weekend I went camping, remember? Up in Wisconsin, in the rain and chill. Seriously, though, it was awesome and I plan on doing it again soon.

I feel like one of those post-grad kids who is trying to "find myself." I'm not, I promise. I know who I am and what I'm good at. I'm just young and unsure. But GOOD NEWS, I get an entire year to focus on those highest values of mine, and make some money, too. Not everyone is this lucky and I realize that, so I plan on taking full advantage of my free time. Learning and reading and writing and getting my ass kicked every day.


tarps | beer samplers | airplanes | smiles | chai tea


~

No comments:

Post a Comment